Saturday, April 5, 2014

Quotes and Impressions in Conference Notes

General Conference is almost about to start, and I have one piece of advice. Assuming that you've already heard the counsel to come prepared with questions and plenty of note-taking paper, there's one thing I'd advise you on concerning those notes you'll be taking (and I have to give this advice because I need to hear it, too) - Don't try to copy down quotes.

Yes, the Prophets and Apostles say some very quotable things, and when we quote them, we should try to get their words exactly right, but honestly, just wait a few days. All the great quotes (along with the rest of the talks) will be available on LDS.org just a few days after the Conference is over. It might be a good idea to make note of quotes you want to look up later, just so you don't forget about them, but don't think that you have to copy each good quote in your notes word for word. It's my experience that when I try to copy exact quotes in General Conference, I miss part of the talk from which I'm quoting, and the part I miss may include a joke (they've been known to say humorous things at Conference) or, more importantly, a message that would trigger a spiritual impression.

Which brings me to what (in my opinion) we should put in our notes: Spiritual Impressions. Though the exact words of General Conference will be preserved forever and are available, if I'm not mistaken, to everyone who wants to look them up, and even the video footage will be kept and preserved, and available both on LDS.org and on Youtube, so you can even remember how they said what they said, two things that will not be preserved is how you felt when you heard their messages for the first time, and the thoughts that came into your mind as you opened your heart to the influence of the spirit. That is, they won't be preserved unless you write them down.

When I sit in conference, I'm tempted to write down summaries of the messages the Apostles share, including their memorable, inspiring, and profound quotes, but this time, I'm going to try to ignore those (apart, perhaps, from making notes to look up good quotes later). Instead, I'm going to reflect inward and try to recognize and record the messages the Spirit has for me, personally. Everything else I might have written down can be found on the internet later. What I want to put in my notes this Conference are the things that I otherwise might lose.

So, that's my advice for Conference this time, in addition to, you know, actually attending General Conference and trying to pay attention. These spiritual impressions may be things you get only once. Try to record them so you can hold on to them. Try to make them last.

No comments: