Friday, October 10, 2014

A Little Reminder

Two days ago, I posted something that's true again today:
For breakfast this morning, I'm having bread cereal, which is basically just bread torn into tiny pieces in a bowl with milk and sugar. I'm also having a glass of hot chocolate with it. As the first few steps of preparing my breakfast, I tore two slices of bread into tiny pieces and poured myself a glass of water. It's nice to get little reminders from time to time.
 The Sacrament itself is a "little" reminder of something much, much more significant than a bowl of breakfast cereal, and I wonder if it isn't disrespectful to connect the greatest event in the history of the Earth to an event so mundane as a plain, morning meal. At the same time, all things testify of Christ, including (apparently) a bowl of bread. If my breakfast raises my thoughts to the subject of Jesus Christ, that's a good thing, but if the ordinance that's supposed to remind me of the Atonement reminds me of bread cereal instead, that's terrible. The Sacrament is supposed to be a sacred experience. I don't want to to start to think of it as some common thing.

No comments: