Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Open Book Quiz

I took three quizzes recently. For the first one, I relied on my memory and got a B. For the second one, I remembered that I could take notes, so I did and got an A, but I still missed a few questions. Just before the third quiz, I noticed that I was allowed to use the course materials as I took the quiz, so I answered every question I could by memory, then checked the materials for the answers to he other questions. That time, I got 100% on the quiz.

Life is an Open Book Quiz, and all of the answers are in the scriptures. We could, like many people, rely on our own wit and wisdom to get us through life, and we might get a passing grade that way. We could also employ study tips, like learning from students who seem to be doing well, and that will likely improve our grade. But whenever we get stuck on a question that we can't answer on our own or even with help from our peers, we can hit the books.

The principles of the gospel and many examples on how we can live them in various situations are found in the writings of the Apostles and Prophets. They can offer us guidance in making the difficult and important decisions in our lives. They can help us pass the test, but only if we study their words.

"Our Heavenly Father did not put us on earth to fail but to succeed gloriously" (Richard G. Scott, October 1989). The Prophets and Apostles can help us do that. Let us remember to learn from them, so we can have their wisdom with us as we take the tests of life.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

another great analogy
Relying on your memory worked pretty well because you had "hit the books" at least once and listened to the teacher so you had something to remember. If you had not, you would have been simply guessing and it might not have gone so well.
We should not wait until we get stuck on a question to "hit the books". We should be studying the books regularly. When we get stuck, we go back to the books looking for the specific answer. Which is a lot easier when you are familiar with the material than when you have not opened the book before.

Andrew Robarts said...

Good points! Thanks for the excellent comment, Mom!