Saturday, November 8, 2014

Wealth

This image was drawn by Randall Monroe. You can find more of his work here.


The question of the day is "Which couple is richer, the one with the kids, or the one standing next to a large pile of money?" The couple on the left has doubtlessly spent a great deal of money having and raising their kids. Not to mention that at least one of those two people would have had to stay home with the kids while the others earns the money that supports the household. They probably manage to make ends meet, most likely by living simply within their means, but I'd be surprised if they had loads of dough leftover.

The couple on the right has no kids, and thus, few required expenses. At the same time, they both have more free time that they can spend on work. I've heard one man describe this kind of people as "DINKs" - Double Income, No Kids. You can accumulate a lot of money this way, then either save it up, or spend it on whatever you want. On the other hand, isn't that kind of what the other couple is doing?

One of the two adults on the left (because I'm a sexist bigot with deeply ingrained gender-biases, I'll assume its the father) goes to work to earn money, which he/she/they then spend on their family. The other (presumably female) partner does something similar, but with their time. Rather than spending time working, she spends time with her kids. Assuming that this couple wanted to have kids (which is a safe assumption, since birth-control doesn't seem to be difficult to acquire), it follows that this couple is already spending their time and money on something they want.

So, to ask another question that is solely a personal question (but an easy one for a family-centric religious fanatic like me), are children worth more than the time and money they cost their parents? Most people (thankfully) would say "yes." Others, like the couple on the right, might say "no," and that's their decision. But some would argue that what children cost in time and money (and energy, and occasionally frustration, and other costs) is less than what children are worth in terms of the love and happiness they give us.

God certainly agrees with that assessment. Given the power to create and command the universe, He could have made anything He wanted to - and He made us. Despite the heartache we cause Him, which He must have seen coming because He's omniscient, He felt that it was worth it to Him to have children. I hope He was right.

I'm not a father yet, but I plan on becoming one someday. I know that once I become a father, that title will define me for the rest of my life, possibly for all eternity, but I have a Heavenly Father who doesn't mind that one bit. Money can't buy happiness, nor can you take it with you when you pass on, but you can still be with your family after death, and they can bring you happiness that will last forever. In that light, there's not much comparison. I'd rather be a father than a billionaire, and I'd rather be good than rich. Then again, "he that hath Eternal Life is rich" (D&C 7:6), so in a sense, I guess you could say that I one day hope to be a very wealthy man.

No comments: