Monday, March 2, 2015

Prepare for Your Miracle

As many of you know, my home State of California is currently experiencing a drought. As such, we've been preying for rain regularly for several weeks, and this morning, it looked as though we might get some. I was doubtful, however, so I almost went out in my usual, light, non-rain-resistant jacket, expecting the clouds to clear without much rainfall (which is ultimately what happened, but that's beside the point). As I was getting ready to leave in my non-rain-resistant jacket, the thought came to my mind that I should wear my less comfortable, rain-resistant jacket, for multiple reasons.

First, just in case. It looked like it might rain, and it couldn't hurt to be prepared in case it did. But more than that, if you pray for a miracle, you shouldn't put yourself into a position where it would be a bad thing for you if God answered your prayer. God is good at turning misfortune into miracles, but only a human would be foolish enough to turn a miracle into misfortune. If you pray for rain, don't put yourself into a position where it would become a bad thing if you got some.

Also, leaving the house unprepared for rain after having prayed for rain shows a certain lack of faith. Yes, it's completely up to God whether He answers our prayers affirmatively, and what we ask for may not ultimately be in our best interest, so God does sometimes withhold they blessings for which we pray. Yet, God is also a generous and loving God, so we shouldn't be too terribly surprised if He gives us the blessings we ask for. If we pray for rain, and then look up and see clouds, we shouldn't be too awfully shocked if it rained that day. It didn't, but I shouldn't have been surprised if it did.

In the end, I chose to wear my rain jacket, and it did sprinkle a little bit in the morning. It wasn't quite the rain that we needed, but it was enough to make me glad that I had heeded the prompting to grab my jacket. I plan to wear, or at least carry, my rain jacket tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that, so just in case God decides to surprise us with the rain we've been praying for, I'll be prepared to be out in it.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

You are right. We should pray in faith and expect miracles, trusting in the Lord whatever his answer.