Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Good News 2 - Still Breathing

Two years ago, I got a piece of chicken stuck in my esophagus and had to have it surgically pushed down. Last night, it was a piece of steak. Much of "The Good News" I blogged about on April 19, 2013, still applies especially including the parts where I miraculously maintained my ability to breathe and that I woke up this morning. This morning, I'd like to focus on how much of a blessing that really is.

God didn't call me home last night, which was a tremendous miracle because I really wasn't ready. I have a few more faults to overcome before I kick the bucket. If I had died last night, that meeting with God would have been... interesting. And by "interesting," I mean "at least as unpleasant as having a piece of meat stuck in your esophagus."

Thankfully, God didn't arrange that meeting. I'm still alive, still breathing, and still blogging. I've been given a second (billionth) chance to do good and become a better person. And the truth is, we all have.

If you're alive and reading this right now, you're being given another chance to repent and improve yourself. No matter how good or bad yesterday was, today can be better. If there's anything unresolved in your life, you have time, right now, to resolve it. If there's anything you really need to get taken care of before you die, now might be a good time to do it.

It's possible that my Eosinophilic Esophagitis will be the death of me, possibly sooner than I think, or maybe I'll get hit by a bus long before then. Who knows? I just know that I'm going to die eventually, so I'd better get myself spiritually ready for that moment now, while I'm still breathing.

No comments: