Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A Gift from the Gideons

This morning, just after I arrived on campus, the Gideons offered me a free, pocket-sized book containing the New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. I accepted the gift, partly because it would have been impolite for me to refuse and I saw stacks of such books on a table across from the person who had offered it to me, and partly because, even though I have regular access to the scriptures, I thought I could benefit from having a copy of even a portion of the Bible that I could carry with me and pull out whenever I wanted to.

In truth, I have already benefited from being given this book because it gave me something I can blog about. In the introduction of this mini-Bible, the Gideons wrote the following about the Bible itself, "It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet. Read it slowly, frequently, and prayerfully." This, I believe, is part of the benefit of having a portable Bible. Because it's pocket-sized, I can carry it with me and "read it ...frequently." The more I do so, the more the words of Christ will "fill [my] memory." And the more they "fill [my] memory," the better they can "rule [my] heart, and guide [my] feet."

I started this blog over two years ago in the hopes that it would help me receive "more guidance, more strength, more help from God." Little did I realize that I didn't have to start an ambitious project to come closer to God - I just had to do what God has commanded us all to do since as long ago as any of us can remember: To read the scriptures regularly and prayerfully. The scriptures were written to give us guidance, strength, and heavenly help. The for frequently and prayerfully we read them, the better off we'll be. The Gideons have given me a Bible that I can carry anywhere and read as frequently as I'd like to. You probably already have something similar on your phone or mobile device. I'd encourage you to take the Gideons' advice (as well as that of every prophet that ever lived) by reading the scriptures as often as you can. There are great blessings to be found in these sacred books, no matter how small they are.