Monday, October 5, 2015

Time to Study Again

Now that General Conference is over, it's time to really study the talks. I enjoyed General Conference, and I tried to get the most out of it by listening intently, taking notes, and trying to record my impressions, but despite all that effort, I have already forgotten most of what was said. That's only natural. Ask any college student, and they'll tell you that sitting through a lecture, even if you take notes, isn't going to guarantee that you'll remember everything from the lecture. To retain or regain a remembrance of what we've heard, we'll have to study the talks again, one by one, and carefully consider their messages.

Unfortunately, the text of the talks haven't been posted yet, but we can still read the talk summaries and rewatch the talks. Doing that, along with reflecting on the notes we took, should help to remind us of the things we heard and the insights we gained, and it should help us to remember those lessons for longer than if we had only listened to the messages once. We might even catch a few things we missed the first time.

The more times we review the Conference talks, the more we'll learn from them and the longer we'll retain what we've learned. I look forward to reviewing the General Conference talks each at least once, and blogging about some of the insights I gain, especially once the full text of the talks are posted. I know that reviewing the talks again and publicly sharing the lessons I've learned will help me apply the principles taught in Conference and will help me become a better person. I've already seen how my life has improved by reviewing and blogging about past General Conference talks. I look forward to repeating the pattern of study and self-improvement.

1 comment:

Rozy Lass said...

I carry the November Ensign with me every week to church; I read the talks during the quiet time before Sacrament meeting begins, during the passing of the Sacrament sometimes, and during the meeting if the speaker is unbearable (I know I need to repent, but some of the members in our tiny twig, er, I mean branch, are truly boring, not to mention all the false doctrine they promulgate, so I read the conference talks to keep focused on truths.). I underline phrases or sentences that speak to me, look up scriptures, make marginal notes and get inspired for FHE lessons.

This conference was a luscious banquet so very satisfying to my soul. I felt like a dry sponge being rehydrated!