Friday, November 20, 2015

Just Write It

While studying for my lesson, I came across a portion of this quoted from President Thomas S. Monson's talk, A Royal Priesthood:
It is not enough to want to make the effort and to say we’ll make the effort. We must actually make the effort. It’s in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals. If we constantly put our goals off, we will never see them fulfilled. Someone put it this way: Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today.
 By the way, he was quoting, or at least paraphrasing Professor Harold Hill from The Music Man.

This quote reminded me of a story I read for my literature class, in which a dying character regrets having put off his own writing because he didn't feel like he could write it well enough, only for him to die having not written it at all.

I feel that I needed to hear this lesson. The next Conference talk I wanted to blog about, Elder Holland's talk from this last General Conference, I haven't blogged about because it's about motherhood, and I have an awesome Mom, so I wanted to make sure my blog post about Elder Holland's talk was a good one. Out of my desire to blog about it well, I haven't blogged about it at all. It's time that I changed that.


Tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, I'm going to need to finalize my lesson plans, so I'm probably going to blog about that on those days, but by Monday, at the latest, I will blog about Elder Holland's talk. No more putting it off until I feel ready. I'm just going to go for it, and if it ends up being a terrible blog post, at least I'll have written something. Writing about mothers and motherhood, even if the blog post isn't terrific, is better than not blogging about them at all. In this case, something is better than nothing, and I promise that you will have something about Elder Holland's talk by Monday night.

No comments: