Friday, November 6, 2015

The Burden of Ability

(Originally titled "The Curse of Blessings." I liked the new title better.)

One of the challenges of life is using our gifts wisely. The more we're given, the more God expects us to do with it. I am an able-bodied young man of reasonable intelligence and creativity. I'm strong enough to help others, smart enough to figure out how to, and wise enough to know that I have to. I know that God wouldn't be pleased with me if I failed to use the gifts He has given me to bless others. Still, there are some times when I would rather not. I feel, as I'm sure most people do, that I don't have enough time to do the things that I want to do. If I stopped spending so much of my time helping others, I would have more time for myself.

But I wouldn't be myself. Or at least, I wouldn't be the version of myself that God wants me to become. I wouldn't be my best self. God has blessed me with a willingness to serve others, which has made my challenge to serve others easier, but it's still a challenge to me sometimes. I'm convinced that we each have our own personal challenges; the ability and responsibility to serve others is one of mine.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, we are all given some gifts and talents, some strengths and abilities, and God expects us to make the most of them. He expects us to develop our talents and use them for good. I expect that we each have a "calling" in life that's separate from the callings we get in the church. God has a purpose for each of us, and He has given each of us the capacity and responsibility to fulfil our purpose. I believe God wants me to serve others, so He blessed me and cursed me with the power and obligation to do it.

No comments: