Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Unrequested Blessings

I have a bad habit of not praying for blessings before I find out I need them. For example, I just took a history quiz, and I wanted to get a good grade on it. A good time to pray for help on that quiz would have been when I start studying for it. Then, with the blessing of the Lord, I could have been inspired to know what I especially needed to study and remember. However, before I begin studying for a quiz is not when I usually pray for help. I usually pray for help with my quizzes while I'm taking them, or just before I take them, if I remember to pray for help at all.
My purpose in telling you this is partly to remind myself to pray for blessings before I need them, and partly to highlight how generous God is in giving me blessings anyway. As I was taking my quiz this morning, there were a few "lucky" moments when my book happened to be open to the page with the information I couldn't quite remember (it was an open-book quiz). I wouldn't be surprised if those moments were manifestations of divine aid, and I thanked God for them, but it struck me how generous God was in giving me blessings after I had forgotten to pray for them. God is a really generous guy.

This is not to say that we can afford to grow casual in our prayers for help. We should still pray for help (and possibly "bribe" God into blessing us by being extra righteous in return) well before we need the help. I just wanted to point out how generous God was because I feel that He deserves recognition for that.

As you look over your life, and especially the parts that seem to be "lucky breaks," I think you'll find that God gives you many more blessings than you thought to ask Him for. When you notice those extra blessings, take a moment to give God extra thanks for them. Like generosity, gratitude is a divine attribute, and we should be especially grateful for the blessings that God gives us that we didn't think to ask for.