Monday, April 4, 2016

Ponderize - 3 Nephi 27: 20

The scripture I've chosen to ponderize this week is 3 Nephi 27: 20:
Now this is the commandment: Repent, all ye ends of the earth, and come unto me and be baptized in my name, that ye may be sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day.
Already, a few words stand out to me. Sanctified. Reception. Stand. Spotless. The Last Day. I look forward to thinking about what these terms mean, especially in the context of each other.

The punctuation is interesting, too. The colon implies that repenting, coming unto Christ, and being baptized are all part of "the commandment," and the way the following phrases are structured, it seems that standing spotless before God is a result of being sanctified by the reception of the Holy Ghost, which is a result of keeping this commandment.

I should check out the surrounding verses for context clues as well.

This is going to be an interesting verse to ponder and study. I look forward to really digging into it and reporting what I find. Also, it should be a nice challenge to try to write the verse from memory, punctuation and all, at the end of the week. If there are any errors in my recitation, it should be informative to compare the differences as well.

This is a nice scripture. It's going to be a good week.

No comments: