Monday, April 25, 2016

Ponderize - Mosiah 4:30

We've been reading through Mosiah in our family scripture reading, and I've highlighted several blogworthy and ponderize-worthy verses. One of them is Mosiah 4:30.
But this much I can tell you, that if you do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your days, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not.
This is kind of what I've been doing with my ponderizing: trying to watch myself, especially my thoughts. Last week, it didn't work so well because the scripture I chose was rather vague in its guidance of what a person should do to increase their spiritual power. It basically just says to be righteous. This scripture is much more specific in its counsel, but it remains broad enough to cover many situations.

It's kind of a longer scripture, but I think that's a good thing. The extra challenge of trying to memorize it will give me more time to ponder it and to really think about the words and the message.

I wonder what it means to "continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord." Granted, this counsel was given before Jesus' first coming, but if we apply it to our own time, it could mean to remain conscious of the reality of the Second Coming and to prepare ourselves for it.

Anyhow, I hope it works. I've been trying to use ponderizing to center my thoughts on the gospel, and ponderizing a scripture that literally says to "watch your thoughts" should help with that. At any rate, it's worth spending a week thinking about it.

No comments: