Sunday, July 10, 2016

No Good Work is Thankless

This morning, I gave a ten-minute talk, and dozens of people gave me praise and compliments for it. Shortly thereafter, my brother quietly cleaned up a stomach-churning mess, and only a handful of people ever even knew what he did. My brother's work was harder, but he got less recognition for it. It's not really fair, but that's life. We often have to do work that goes unrecognised by the world.

Thankfully, there are others who recognise our work and make sure we're properly thanked for it. Whenever we do good, angels in heaven make note of it, and we will be justly rewarded for it, even if no one on Earth ever knows what we did.

I'm glad people liked my talk, and I'm glad to know that they liked it. It makes me feel like I've done some good in the world. But I'm not the only one who did good today, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who knows that. I'm glad that there are angels in heaven recording everyone's good works, so that no good work is ever permanently thankless. I find it comforting that God watches all our actions, and that, when a person does good, there is always going to be at least one person who notices and thanks them for it.

We don't always get praised immediately for the good we do. Sometimes, our good works are more private, seen and recognised by fewer people. But they are always recognised by someone. I'm glad people complimented my talk today, but I'm even more glad that my brother's good works today have been recognised as well.

No comments: