Thursday, July 28, 2016

To Lead and to Follow

I can't believe this didn't occur to me earlier. To lead someone means to go before them, showing them the way, and to follow means to go behind them.

It's so simple. Leaders aren't just commanders. They don't just say "you go do that thing," then sit back and watch. They say "Let's go do that thing," and then they start to do it, trusting that the others will join in. Leading isn't just about giving commands, and following isn't just about obeying them. It's about working together. It's about setting a good example and following that example. That's why the phrase "Do as I say, not as I do" irks me as much as it does. Leaders shouldn't just tell their followers  what to do and how to do it; they should show them, by example. They should walk the path they want others to follow, not just tell them where the path is.

That, in my opinion, is part of what makes Jesus Christ a great leader. He didn't just tell people how to live; He showed them by living that way Himself. Good leaders follow His example by leading by example, by literally leading their followers, not just bossing them around. Since I've been called to be a leader, I'm going to follow the Savior by being a leader who literally leads.

No comments: