Thursday, August 11, 2016

What Others Expect of You - Agreeing to Leeches

As I was searching for the exact quote of the "duty" definition I didn't like, I found this. It's an excerpt from Robert Heinlein's book "Time Enough for Love." The reason I didn't share it yesterday is that I wasn't sure how much I agreed with it, and I'm still not sure. Like most things, it has at least some truth in it; I'm just not sure exactly how much of it is true. It's another thing I'm going to have to ponder a while longer before I decide exactly where I stand on it. Anyhow, I found it interesting enough to keep the tab open overnight. Perhaps you'll find it interesting, too.

Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different.

Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.

But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad [a thief] than it is to deal with a leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please - this won't take long"... Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time - and squawk for more!

So learn to say no - and to be rude about it when necessary.

Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.

This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.


I think I needed to read this. I probably still need to really think about it and come to grips with the wisdom that's in it. I am, as Heinlein might say, guilty of the vice of agreeing to the requests of leeches.  I need to "learn to say no - and [perhaps even] to be rude about it when necessary." That's a skill that I lack that I feel I could greatly benefit from gaining. It's not useful in all situations. Like Heinlein said, saying no to parasites doesn't mean that you never do favors for friends. But like he said, it should be one's own choice, not a "duty" to do whatever is asked of you. Some people ask too much too often. You do not have a moral duty to do all that such people expect me to do. I do not have a moral duty to do all that such people expect me to do.

3 comments:

motherof8 said...

Excellent quote, I think.

As to the expectations of others, WHAT others? WHO expects WHAT makes a great difference.

What those I sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators expect carries great weight and should be my assumed and accepted duty. What he I sustain as a judge in Israel chosen and ordained by God expects carries weight. What my boss expects of me at work may be duty. What my family expects is of importance to me, but is not automatically assumed duty. Family are of importance and value to me, but have no stewardship.

Doing good and kindness for others is our Christian duty, but not everyone all the time contrary our well-being and that of others. We must learn to choose wisely.

Anonymous said...

It seems you actually have a duty to say no. Every minute you spend doing something is a minute you cannot do something else. If it is keeping you from your duty (and only you will really know) you must say no.
-Ruth

motherof8 said...

Ruth makes a good point. Counsel with the Lord. Do what feels right. Decide and don't look back. Don't second guess yourself. Yes, we should learn from our experiences, including mistakes, but we shouldn't carry a burden of guilt. If we did err, repent, learn and move forward. If we did our best, don't fret about what we couldn't do. You can only do your best. You pretty much can never make everyone happy. Aim to please the Lord and yourself. Who else matters?