Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Resurrection Is Awesome

If Elder Paul V. Johnson's talk, And There Shall Be No More Death, sounded familiar to me when I listened to it this morning, that's because I already blogged about a few days after he gave it. Still, I'd like to blog about it again because something that he said still blows me away:
Each of us has physical, mental, and emotional limitations and weaknesses. These challenges, some of which seem so intractable now, will eventually be resolved. None of these problems will plague us after we are resurrected.
Isn't that amazing? None of the problems have now, at least none of the "physical, mental, [or] emotional limitations and weaknesses" we have now will trouble us after we're resurrected. I wonder what that'll feel like.

What will it be like to have mind, body, and soul all working to the peak of their potential? How strong will we be? How fast and how long will we be able to run? How smart will we be? How well will we remember things? How quickly will we be able to learn? How emotionally healthy will we be? How stable and wise will we become?

I think that that experience will be incredible. I'm greatly looking forward to it, and I'm a physically fit, reasonably intelligent, and emotionally average young man. I can't even imagine how much I'd look forward to the resurrection if I had some of the "physical, mental, and emotional limitations and weaknesses" that some of my friends and relatives have. We will all, effectively, be superhuman, and that will literally be incredible (pun intended).

The only bad part about resurrection is that most of us will need to die first, and many of us aren't quite ready to do that. We still have some repenting to do and some progress to make. So, as awesome as having a resurrected body will be, I'm glad the resurrection (and the final judgement) aren't going to happen to soon. Still, any apprehensions I have about the final judgement are slightly mitigated by the fact that, even if I'm consigned to spend eternity in hell, at least I'll have an amazing, perfected body when I get there. I wouldn't mind putting it off for a few more decades, but when my time comes, being resurrected will be awesome.

No comments: