Thursday, December 1, 2016

Coincidental Service

Today was the first day of the church's Light the World program, and today was all about service. If I had been super good and prepared and all that, I might have gone out of my way to do an extra act of service for someone, but that didn't happen. I didn't remember to do a special act of service today. However, I still did a small act of service for a friend.

I know a guy who runs a local card shop. Every so often, I hang out at that shop to join in conversation, play card games, and otherwise kill time while I wait for my bus. Lately, I've picked up a mini-project of sorting some of my friend's cards for him. Today, I cut up some index cards to make dividers to keep some his land cards organized. It wasn't much, and it wasn't planned, but I'd like to think that it was a kind gesture, and that maybe it was good enough to count as an act of service.

For the rest of December, I'm going to try to be more active in participating in the Light the World program. I won't promise to participate in the program every day, but I'll at least try to follow along with the program, and I probably will go out of my way to participate every so often, if only because it'll give me something to blog about, like it did today.

I didn't really plan on doing service today. It just sort of happened. Perhaps you, too, do service for others without even realizing it. It's in the nature of good people to be kind and helpful, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if many of you did service for others without really thinking about it. Today, I learned that it isn't always hard to do service for others, even when you're not even trying to.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

You serve daily. As we should.