Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Learning from a Little Accident

I witnessed a little miracle today, when I crashed my bike into a pole. I was unhurt. The position of the brake handle was "adjusted," but it still worked. The bike was still ridable, I got home safely, and with the right tools, I was able to reposition the brake handle quickly and easily. What was "damaged" in a moment stayed "damaged," but still functional, for well over an hour, but was fixed in minutes. Kind of like us.

When we sin, it hurts our souls. It "damages" us, you could say. But it doesn't destroy us. We can get back up and keep moving forward, despite the damage. And when we have the right tools and use them correctly, we can have the damage undone.

Another lesson we can learn from this is that having the right tools is important. I don't have an allen wrench as small as the one I needed to fix my bike, so I had to rely on another person to provide me with the tools I needed to get myself out of the mess I had gotten myself into. Similarly, we all rely on Jesus Christ to use our repentance and His Atonement to give us the power we need to become clean and free of sin. We can't do it without Him.

I'm thankful for the little accident I got into this afternoon. I'm thankful for the lessons I've learned from it, and I'm especially grateful that the wreck wasn't any worse. One final lesson is that God can turn almost anything into a good thing, even a small accident like crashing my bike.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I am glad that you are ok!! Physically and spiritually. Good analogy and lesson. Thank you for always looking for the good and the lesson.