Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Plan of Happiness

As many of you may have seen on Facebook by now, one of our cats, Felicia, was struck by a car and died at about 9:20 tonight. As she was dying, I crouched beside her and pet her and tried to tell her that she was going to be okay. I felt a little bit silly for saying that. At the time, I didn't know whether she was going to live or die or, if she lived, how long or hard her recovery was going to be. I didn't know that it was going to be okay, and, by some definitions, it wasn't. But as my mom told me a few moments ago, there's more than one kind of "okay." I feel confident that Felicia is okay now.

I am very thankful that God's plan of happiness extends to all of His creatures. Thanks to the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, we are all promised an eternal afterlife, including our pets. Felicia is dead, but her spirit lives on, and her spirit and body will be reunited and made whole again in the Lord's due time. In the meantime, I am certain that God will see to it that she is made comfortable and happy. And I trust that, through this assurance, God will also bring some comfort and happiness to us.

We are going to miss Felicia, but, as cliche as it may be to say this, she's in a better place now, and we'll rejoin her when it's our time. One of the most important things we learn in this church is that families can be together forever. Felicia wasn't officially sealed to us, but I'm sure God could work something out. He has a plan. We just have to trust Him and follow His plan as well as we know how, knowing that, in the end, it's all going to be okay.

No comments: