Thursday, October 5, 2017

Politics in Moderation

Not to be confused with Moderation in Politics. That's a topic for another day.

While I was blogging about sharing our light and articulating our faith, I forgot to mention one caveat: It's exhausting. Political conversations, especially heated and/or complex ones, can be spiritually draining. I'm sure that there are some people who thrive on argumentation and conflicts of opinion, but I'm not one of them. I am open to hearing and pondering other people's opinions, but after a lengthy discussion, I find that I need time to cool down and process my thoughts before I'm ready to rejoin the conversation. If this sounds familiar to you, don't worry about it. We don't need to feel like we're shirking our spiritual and civic responsibilities if we find that we need to take a rest. There is wisdom in stepping back every so often to get a fresh perspective and a moment of peace. It is important to discuss political opinions and policies, but it's also important to know when to stop.

No comments: