Saturday, October 14, 2017

Questions the Articles Answer

If I'm going to ask my Primary kids questions that can be answered by the Articles of Faith, I should probably write a list of those questions, so here are a couple of questions that the Articles of Faith can answer:

Who are the three members of the Godhead?

Do we believe in Original Sin? (I won't ask the kids this one. It's a yes/no question, and the kids probably don't know what Original Sin is.)

How can we saved from our sins? (There are a couple of good, correct answers to this one.)

What are the first four principles and ordinances of the gospel? (Another list question, like the first question, and it's a fairly obvious reference to the Article of Faith, so I might skip this one, too.)

Who can perform ordinances? (This one might be a bit of a stretch to link it to the Article of Faith, but I think I can do it with a follow-up question, like "How does a person get the Priesthood?")

What spiritual gifts are available to us? (I might not ask this question, either, for the sake of brevity, if for no other reason.)

How is the church organized? (Another one I won't ask during the quiz portion, but I'll plan on bringing it up when I teach the kids that we tell people about the church using the Articles of Faith.)

What do we believe about the Bible? What do we believe about the Book of Mormon? (I should be careful about using the words "we believe" until I'm ready to tip my hand about the purpose of the quiz, but this is a fairly good question that can lead to an interesting discussion.)

Is there such a thing as modern revelation? (It's another yes/no question that'd probably be better brought up after the quiz.)

What will the Millennium be like? (It's a stretch, but if I recall correctly, at least some of my Primary kids had an interest in the Millennium, so the Tenth Article of Faith might be worth bringing up at some point.)

How important is religious freedom? (This question might go over my students' heads, but it might be a good idea to plant the seeds at an early age. I don't know what kind of world these kids will grow up in, but it seems like there's a chance that they'll have to fight for their (and others') rights to act according to their principles.)

What is our attitude toward the law? (This question would be best saved for later, if I use it at all.)

What sort of people are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? (Shortly after I ask this question (and I will ask this question in the quiz, especially since there are lots of good answers to it), I'll want to reveal that we're talking about the Thirteen Articles of Faith, in case the kids haven't figured it out by then, so I might quote this Article of Faith after giving the kids a chance to list some answers.)

I think I like how this quiz is shaping up. I'll only ask about half of the questions, if that, but five or six questions are plenty for a warm up exercise. This is mostly just to get the kids' attention on the lesson and to get them involved in it before I get into the less-engaging part of reading (or having the kids read) the stories. Still, I'll have a second quiz that tests (and refreshes) the kids' knowledge of the Articles of Faith, so if we can get through the story part of the lesson quickly enough, we can go back to discussing the Articles of Faith, in random order. And I think the kids were promised a round or two of hangman after that, so I won't spend a whole lot of time on the boring parts.

I think I have some pretty good lesson preparation set up now. I'll put my list of questions together with my outline tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I should probably shut my computer off and get some rest.

No comments: