Friday, December 8, 2017

Simultaneous Study and Prayer

Today, I had a more spiritual experience praying in a public bathroom than I had had reading the Book of Mormon in my bedroom at home. That's because when I prayed in the bathroom, I was really praying, but when I was reading the Book of Mormon, I was just reading it. I wasn't studying it. I wasn't pondering it. I was just reading.

I need to stop doing that, and I think I know how.

I think that I can make both my praying and my Book of Mormon reading more effective if I do them both at the same time. If I pray while I read, it'll help me focus on my reading. It'll help me ponder and internalize what I'm reading. It will help give my prayer more focus as well.

I've heard that if you want to talk to God, you should pray, and if you want God to talk to you, you should read the scriptures. I propose that if you want to have a two-way conversation with God, with each of you communicating and responding to each other, it might be worth trying to read and pray at the same time.

No comments: